Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Spanning Time and Space ~ 3/11/2014

I was a girl living in a house on the seaside. It was my birthday and a storm was rolling in. The waves rose up dark jade and lapis blue in the moonlight, and their crests became white horses. It was some how a sort of magic I had, latent but powerful. I remembered it for years, through all sorts of loss, until I was a young woman. Again I was at the seaside on my birthday, and the waves began to rise, and an older man saw the horses begin to form, and came to find me. It was my father, whom I'd been separated from years before, and we were a family again.

I left the sea and went back home to Walmart to buy a winter coat.  Some of the coats were wool and some were fleece, some were canvas, cotton, puffy silk, and some were even rabbit fur, but they were all white or very pale cobweb gray. I bought a puffy white silky one, and headed to a clearing in the snow-cloaked woods. There, in a small cave, I met Ayla, the Cro Magnon girl from Clan of the Cave Bear. I brought Ayla back into town, bought her a puffy white coat like mine, let her live in the spare room of my house, and got her a job at Costco, where I was a sort of staffing manager. We frequently went back to the woods to the clearing by the cave, then back to the house in town, which was three stories with the bedrooms on the third floor. It had a side door and stair, so you could come home and go straight upstairs without anyone noticing you. I particularly liked this because Ayla often had friends over. It was fine, they were nice, but I've always liked my space.

There was sort of a marauders map of the Costco, so I could keep track of Ayla in the store, along with the other employees, and make sure there was a good distribution of helpful staff throughout the store. The only thing I ever bought there was large amounts of vanilla yogurt. But all the labels were white and sky blue, so it was always hard to find the brand and flavor I wanted. Ayla, with her keen eye for detail, was always my choice to help me find the one I was looking for.

Another storm began to blow in, and we went back to the clearing. Everything was midnight blue shadows and silver moonlight streaking through the fluttering patches of cloud above. We found Mulder and Scully, part of the forensic team from Bones, and part of the crew from Firefly waiting in the clearing for us. Apparently there was an imminent attack expected from space, but massing above us was a fleet made up of every spacecraft from every sci-fi movie or television show ever made, along with all the craft ever designed by all the space programs on Earth, and captain Malcolm Reynolds could control them all remotely from Serenity, which had landed in the clearing, and would soon take off  to protect the Earth.  Mal wanted to know if we wanted to go with him.

So me and a prehistoric teenager went up in a space ship to inspect a fleet of mismatched, hyper-futuristic craft including a Firefly, the Enterprise, a LOT of TIE fighters, some star destroyers, the space shuttle, birds of prey, and countless others, under the command of one super-attractive captain, so we could help save the world. And then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment