Saturday, May 7, 2016

Ghost in the Machine ~ 5/7/2016

I dreamed that I was working with some footage of the Lytle High School Marching Band, in parade formation, boarding a cruise ship that was taking them to an international marching band festival. My job was to edit the clips together, and add some animation to pizzazz up the montage.

First I removed a bit of aside banter I'd had with their drum major, where I'd told her I'd been a drum major for Medina Valley, and we had a bit of good-spirited booing and trash talking before things really got going. When I finally had everything lined up in my program the way I wanted, I went to go check the code and animation libraries to make sure it was all in a state I could work with. Sometimes code isn't, you know.

But, as I started scanning through the code, the program took on a life of its own, and started removing a lot of my semicolons, and replacing them with random animation tags. My film started playing, and there were weird, glistening spangles in a rainbow of colors, scattered across all the objects in frame. The sky had gone pink and purple, and the band was marching through a field of green clover, and going into a hole in the ground instead of a ship.

There were random beetles and butterflies and bats and stuff flying around, and the music was all jumbled into a cacophony. People's faces weren't quite right. They all seemed off-kilter, and some of them were sagging lopsidedly. It was a nightmare, and I couldn't even begin to imagine how long it would take to fix the code, because it would all have to be manual.

Then something even worse happened. One of the figures on the screen turned toward me, laughed, and came out of the screen to stand beside me. He was wearing a white suit and a rainbow tie, and had all the different spangly patches here and there on his clothing and skin. Even worse, one of his eyes sagged half out of it's socket, and his skin had little flaps that drooped away from his flesh, which was gray in some places. And I recognized him. He was a guy I'd had a crush on back in middle school.

He began to follow me around as I tried to leave the studio and find someone who could help me. He kept hitting on me, which was really off-putting since I had been SO OVER him for, like, decades, and I knew the real him was in a steady relationship. He disappeared, but just as I was feeling relieved, he returned with a woman, whom he must have pulled out of the animation, because she was just as partially melted and spangled as he was.

After all that hitting on me, he introduced the woman to me as his fiancee, and started begging me to help plan their wedding, and she was all syrupy sweet about it, but I could tell she was angry, and at ME. Whenever she stalked away, he would make a heavy pass at me before going after her. And all I wanted to do was figure out what was haunting my code (I suspected it was him), and how I could get everything back in order as quickly as possible.

Then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment