Thursday, March 16, 2017

TBTT#26 May 2013 Weirdness, Part 2

May 26, 2013

I dreamed that Summer and I kept sneaking off, and my family thought we were doing something bad, like working for a Hooters-like place in skimpy clothes.  But really, we were on a sports team sort of thing, and finally my mom came out to watch us, and it turns out that we wore these soccer uniforms, but what we *did* was a sort of two person competitive karaoke/DDR team event, where one person sang to a track, and the other danced, and the score was based on accuracy.

My mom had brought Kerri and Erik’s youngest two sons (they’d had a third), so she had to go early to take them home.  So I left to hang out in a bar with a college boyfriend and his roommate while he was at Rice.  A girl across the bar was making eyes at my ex, so he pretended I was with him, and she said some really cutting things about me, but whatever.

Then those guys turned out to be two of my guy friends from New Orleans, and both of them were there to keep eyes on their sisters.  My sister was there, too, and we were all talking about how protective we were of our sisters, and I realized no one felt that way about me.

The bar was on the coast and some blue whales were going by, so I left and walked down the beach and followed them.  I swam for a while, until I realized that the orcas and other predatory whales that were also there might think I was food, so I swam back to the bank, which was loaded with penguins, and a dead Beluga.  I was sad, and the blue whales had gone up a fjord out of sight, so I trudged back to the bar.

As I looked down from the balcony to the street below, I saw my mom and my sister were outside waiting, but before I could go down to them, I saw my dad coming through the crowd to get me.  He’d been worried about me, and he took me in his arms, and it felt so amazing to be loved and cherished by someone who wanted to take care of and protect me, and it felt so good to smell the cigarette smoke and motor oil in his clothes again, and hear his voice, and I began crying and I said, “Thank you, God, so much, for letting me have him back.”

They took me back to the French Quarter where I looked around for one of my tour guide friends as I walked home from Jackson Square, since I thought it was after 10:30, and he might be done with his tour.  But it was actually only just after 8:30, and I didn’t see him.  Then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment