Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Can't See the Forest for the Pop Culture References ~ 5/20/2014 and 5/21/2014

The night before last, I was walking down a path in a mountainous pine wood. I hiked the trail for hours, but took a few breaks along the way. My first stop was in a big auditorium where I was in the chorus for a musical production of Frozen. But I kept leaving the stage and sneaking out into the seats, because I could see ghosts in the audience, and I needed to talk to them and help them find the light.

I got back on the trail, and it got steeper and steeper, until finally I was climbing up a rock face. Then, suddenly, I lost my footing and I was hanging by my hands from a ledge. I kept scrambling to haul myself onto the ledge. I was sure it was the top of the trail, and things would get easier. My hands gripped the rock and pulled as I tried to push with my feet, but I just couldn't do it. My fairy godmother Claudine, from the Sookie Stackhouse books, appeared atop the ledge to help me, but she couldn't get to me in time. I began to slide and fall, and I think I woke up for a bit, but when I went back to sleep, I was back on the flatter, forested part of the trail.

I began to hike again, and met up with my friend Emily, who insisted we go down a side trail where the actors who play Sam and Dean on Supernatural were being filmed in a new Game of Thrones adaptation. So we found the set, down in a ravine beside our path, so we could look down over a railing and watch the filming. They were doing Game of Thrones in the style of Hamlet, with wooden swords and ghosts coming out of trap doors. Mostly the ghost of Tywen Lannister. Who came up out of the ground as a sort of noodley skinny golden yellow cartoon lion, then faded into a noodley skinny white cartoon horse that Sam and Dean tried to lasso, but the ropes slipped through the ghost and it loped off down the trail.

That's all I remember from that night. Last night I was sort of a fly on the wall of Twilight. Bella had married into the Cullen family, but they weren't vampires, just super rich superheroes. As she explored their family mansion, she found rooms full of diamonds. But she grew weaker and sadder as the months passed, because she kept having dangerous miscarriages, and Edward wouldn't sleep with her any more.

I left there, finally, because it was just too sad, and all the sadder because of the beauty of the house and people, and their success with every other aspect of their lives.

I was back on my forest trail, but then it dipped down into a cool stream and continued as a water path.  I waded upstream and met up with my mom and some friends, and we were all looking to catch the first catch of a sort of seasonal freshwater krill. There were also freshwater pearl oysters that we wanted to collect.

The banks along the stream became the rock walls of a small canyon, and the water became deeper. Knee deep, hip deep, chest deep, then the current was too strong and I had to leave the group and drift back down the stream. I went with some friends who had already been farther upstream and were returning. One of them was a guy with long black hair who let me hang onto the tube he was floating in while he showed me a knife he'd made or won. It was a square cross section that tapered to a sharp point. It was made of a strong, dark wood, and it connected to its handle at a pivoting ball joint like a human hip. I couldn't see why this was a good thing, but apparently it was.

We drifted down the stream until it emptied into a lake back at the Cullen mansion. There we found a small, amphibious plane, flown by Sam Merlotte from the Sookie Stackhouse books. He was waiting to fly me to Bon Temps to meet with the vampire king Felipe de Castro.

We flew a ways, then landed, then I was walking on the same wooded path, and loosely disperses around me were gray-cloaked, hooded figures. The sun was setting and a mist was rising. As the last gleams of daylight faded, the figure in front of me turned and smiled inside his hood, and it was the vampire king, and the others were the vampires in his retinue, and we were almost to town, where we were supposed to meet, and I couldn't see Sam anywhere. I was alone with them in the woods. Then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment