Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Diplomacy ~ 11/19/2014

I dreamed I was an ambassador to the Korean embassy. I was hosting an important diplomat at my family's home in the Hill Country. I got home to find they had arrived and had been installed in my sister's room. A young Korean woman was just going in, and the diplomat was not to be disturbed.

I went into my own room, and started looking through my closet to decide what old clothes could be given away. My closet backed onto the closet in my sister's room, and through the wall I heard the young woman scream, then sob loudly.

I rushed to the TV room where my dad and sister were to make sure I wasn't imagining things, or overhearing the television show. They confirmed that they had heard the screaming and crying, and what could we do?

I was the ambassador, so this was my job. I went back to the room and pounded on the door, then went in. The young woman was lying on the bed, crying quietly now. Seated next to her wasthe diplomat. Not the old man I expected, but a sharply dressed, middle aged, Korean woman with a smug grin on her face.

I raised the young woman off the bed and showed her into my own room and bed. I told her she didn't have to let anyone hurt her here, and she would be staying in my room. She sobbed that she was afraid of her boss, because she was a South Korean, and everyone knew that the South Koreans were cruel and depraved. I assumed from this that the girl was North Korean, and raised on anti-South propaganda. I went back to question the diplomat, who said I couldn't punish her in any way, and she had every right to treat her aide any way she wanted.

I told her she was only half right. I couldn't punish or charge her for anything, but I was not required to condone or collude with law breaking in my own home, and that physical, emotional, and sexual abuse were all illegal and completely unacceptable under our roof. Her aide would not be required to see her in private during her stay with us.

Apparently she told her aide that I was requiring her to have a hysterectomy, and the young woman got agitated again. I had to sooth that down, and reiterated that no one here could make her do anything she didn't want. The diplomat informed me that I would be in big trouble for interfering, and I in turn informed her that I would be filing for an investigation. Then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment