Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Not My Usual Big Bend Trip ~ 1/13/2015

I dreamed I was traveling to Big Bend with a friend of mine who had an assignment to spy on a wealthy landowner who lived on the east side of the park. His contact in the household was the rich man's mistress, who had once been his own mistress. She was a beautiful woman with long black hair. She had ostensibly been on a trip and was traveling back with us.

She directed us to turn down the long gravel road that led to the landholder's house. We had to stop to let my companion, the spy, out of the car, because if the rich man found out we were with him, he'd have us killed, since they were apparently enemies from way back.

At the end of the road we found a gas station and a motel, owned and operated by the rich guy. The woman I was with got me one of the special rooms that opened out front like any other room, but had a back entrance that opened into the large hacienda mansion the owner lived in.

She warned me that if I locked any of the doors, her lover would get suspicious, but I locked them anyway, because who doesn't lock their motel room doors. But I kept waking up in the middle of the night to find the man's guards passing through my room. I tried to sit up and scream, but I couldn't make any sound. So I just sat there and cried in fear and helpless frustration.

The next morning I decided to leave and go stay in a regular hotel. I went to pack my things, and found that the woman had put all sorts of clues about my friend the spy among my belongings. For some reason these included copies of Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy. I kept fishing them out, saying these things must be hers, because they weren't mine. They were among my favorite books, but my copy had all three novels in a single hard cover. She kept insisting they had to be mine, and kept trying to bring them to the owner's attention.

I finished packing in a rush and hurried everything out to my car. I was just about to drive off when I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment