Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Craft Store Adventures ~ 5/5/2015

I dreamed I was in a huge craft store, like Garden Ridge Pottery, trying to decide if I wanted to carve a pumpkin this year, or buy a wooden or ceramic one to paint, or even just by a pre-painted jackolantern decoration. My friend Tanya was definitely buying a ceramic one to paint, and I was helping her pick out supplies, and made sure she didn't forget to buy antiquing. I was looking at the different colors of antiquing, then realized I was actually looking at a spice rack with cinnamon and cardamom and nutmeg and chili powder and all spice and all sorts of other brown and red powdered spices.

I must have messed up something, because suddenly I found myself in the craft store jail. This was a row of cells along the back wall with dirt floors strewn with hay and bars for their front and side walls. Everyone could see in, like we were animals in the zoo. We got one little locker to put our stuff in, but we were only allowed one travel sized bottle of shampoo, one of conditioner, and supplies for the work they gave us. I almost got into more trouble because I was storing toiletries for the guy in the next cell, since he didn't have a locker. But when I explained why I had extra to the guard, he accepted that.

We also had laces and little bits of fabric and sewing kits, because our task while we were imprisoned was to make a Snow White doll from a kit they gave us. But when we laced up her little bodice, we learned they had tricked us, because all the kits had rips somewhere, so there was no way we could dress the dolls as quickly as they wanted. But we could still do it slowly, so we set ourselves to sew up the rips and lace up the dolls and have done with it.

Eventually they let me out, and I began to wander the store again to decide what decorations I wanted to buy. There was one really neat ceramic pumpkin I could paint, but it was huge and cost $324, which was a lot more than I wanted to spend. There were smaller ones, but nothing was quite right, and I really wanted to paint my own. I also wanted a rabbit, so I took a break and went into the garden off to the side of the store. They had okra, and I went to find Tracey to see if she wanted some for the gumbo. I knew she had frozen, but fresh-picked would be so much nicer.

When I found her, she was beside a discount table, and there they had this absolutely adorable do-it-yourself haunted house kit. It was only $24, and I decided THAT was what I wanted, instead of a ceramic pumpkin. I picked it up, and Tracey reminded me that I needed to save money for a rabbit. But I decided the rabbit could wait, and this is what I would buy that day. So I set off for the registers, and then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment