Thursday, April 17, 2014

Phone Trouble Car Trouble Brain Trouble ~ 4/17/2014

I went to San Antonio to go to some sort of clothes show. I had a free day, so I headed out to Castroville, to visit my high school band director, who was also my college band director, because the band was both my college and high school band. I was in the band hall talking to the director, who was My high school director, while a MOB grad student rehearsed a solo and ensemble group that included the MOB director's son on trumpet.

Things wrapped up and we left for the afternoon. I drove into town and sent a text to some friends who were in town for a basketball game to try to meet for dinner at Mi Tierra at 7:30. I figured I'd go straight there and hang out at the bar since it was Friday. I thought about inviting the band director and my dad, if he wasn't offshore working. I didn't think he was. I knew Mom and Brooke were out of town.

I was near the exit for a street called Dufoma when I realized I had a flat tire. It occurred to me that every time I came to SA I got a flat. I pulled over to the Dufoma bend, where the exit curved around a wide shoulder. I pulled over, up to a big pile of tires on the shoulder, and went to get my jack and tire iron. I figured I should call my dad for help, too.

I started looking for his phone number, and a group of guys came up and started talking about helping me, but I knew they'd want money, and I didn't have any. I'd managed to call the leading office of the place where my dad lived when my mom was away, instead of my dad's number. Then I managed to call the offshore rig, but they connected me with Red Adair, and not my dad.

I couldn't find the right number and I couldn't get to my jack because the guys kept distracting me. They started talking about calling a tow, but I told them just to leave it all alone because I wasn't doing anything until I'd talked to my dad. At some point a woman showed up to try to help me work my phone.

I decided this had gotten beyond ridiculous, and I turned to tell everyone politely thanks buy please just go on about their business and I would take care if it, but no one was there, and my car had been stripped down to the frame. Then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment