Saturday, August 16, 2014

Life is a Cabaret ~ 8/16/2014

I dreamed I was commissioned to write a play about a bunch of cabaret girls, their catty, gossipy, back stabbing ways, and their solidarity when one of them is threatened. The story was all worked out, I just had to put it into words. Then I was going to have to coach the cast on how I imagined the lines would be delivered. This made me nervous to start with, and then I ran late. I finally delivered my manuscript, then told the director that any actresses worth their salt should be able to figure it out and bring it to life, and I quit.

I went to find my mom, and discovered that my whole family had been invited to an ex's wedding. I insisted at least me and my immediate family should go, so we made our way to North Carolina. They were having the wedding in the house they'd built, and somehow it looked just like our house in the Hill Country, except it was built of gray stone, and was sort of an open air garden, instead of a house.

The wedding was lovely, I guess. I don't really remember it. Maybe we were late. I do remember collecting mycollecting my glass of champagne for the toast, then watching the photo montage the groom's brother had put together. He'd picked the song "The Rose" for the background music, which my family had always loved to hear me sing. In fact, he'd accidentally found and used a recording of me singing it at some recital. I kept having to scold my mom for giggling about this.

We left the wedding and went to stay at my godparents' house nearby. My godparents weren't there, and some other folks we didn't know we're staying there along with us. Everything was fine until I heard a strange, ringing, scraping sound coming from the back room. I peeked around the door to see a man standing by the bed sharpening an axe. Suddenly he began to swing it around, into the walls and furniture. When his girlfriend rushed in to see what was going on, he swung it towards her. I ran from the door, and didn't see the blow land, but I heard her scream, then fall silent.

I ran and locked some doors to isolate the back of the house, but I knew that wouldn't stop him for long, because of the axe. He seemed content to trash the back of the house, though, at least for the time being. I ran out and got my car turned around, pointed toward the street for a quick getaway. One of the strangers ran from the house and begged to go with us, so I let him in the back seat, the. Went to find Mom.

She wast anywhere, not even in the locked off rooms (I checked through the windows. The. She came walking up the street from the park, and I told her to just get in the car. She kept arguing about going back inside for stuff, but I wouldn't let her, and finally we were all in the car, pulling out of the drive, just as the axe man burst out the front door.

We had to stop immediately at the stop sign just beside their driveway, and te intersection had become a huge roundabout. There were cars and pedestrians everywhere, and no matter how well I checked, I kept cutting off cars that appeared out of nowhere. Then I ran the car off the road into another yard, and couldn't get it to steer back onto the road. When I did finally get us back on track, and drove to the highway, I didn't know which way to go. We tried to get a GPS map with directions, but it kept directing us to Canada instead of Texas. Then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment