Saturday, June 21, 2014

Going to the Chapel and We're Blah Blah Blah ~ 6/21/2014

I dreamed they told me I needed to get ready, and I thought maybe they were throwing me a birthday party, but someone put me in a gorgeous white dress and someone else took over my hair and makeup, and suddenly a friend of mine was walking me down an aisle, past all of my friends and family, up to a waiting minister... but there was no groom.

I stood alone before the minister, waiting, then he told us to all sit, and he started talking about marriage. Then a friend of mine got up wearing a tux, but he just proceeded to give a speech, and he mostly talked about his family, who were all sitting behind him on a stage, and all the trouble and difficult history he had with them. When he was done, another friend got up and was also in a tux, but he just did a goofy song and dance routine.

The minister talked some more, and there was some music, and I could hear everyone murmuring about how beautiful I was in my white silk dress with a full, pleated skirt that could be gathered up with lavender ribbons. I remember the ribbons because I started playing with them to avoid looking anyone in the eye. A priest spoke then about it being best to abstain until marriage, but so important to enjoy fully all the gifts of God that you find in each other afterward.

Then the minister said the wedding was over, and everyone left for the reception, but I just couldn't face them, because I'd made it through an entire wedding with absolutely no groom, and I was afraid I might now be solemnly and officially married to no one, and would have to stay that way for life. So I just sat there playing with the ribbons on my dress and crying for a while.

Eventually I got up and went to game night, and thanked my friends for coming, and for their gifts. The friend who had given a speech had gone out to the town plaza and sung Sinatra as loud as he could for six hours as his gift to me. Everyone else had stuck to the registry, but I had no idea what was on there. Then we decided to play Wii Lego Game of Thrones, and I got to be the red pieces. And then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment