Friday, November 13, 2015

I'm Not Cut Out for Academia ~ 11/13/2015

I dreamed that I was writing a thesis about how Agnes and Leah Adamcek, my mom's great-great-grandmother and her twin sister, had married two brothers, Adam and Levi, who were my dad's great-great-grandfather and his twin brother. This connection had been lost to our family knowledge, until I made a chance discovery in some old photo albums. There was a portrait of the sisters tucked into my dad's family's stuff that I recognized from going through my mom's family's stuff, and then I pieced together the story.

I was writing up my thesis when weird stuff started happening. Little things that I barely noticed at first. Like I was walking home along the beach at night, and I hear people walking near me, but couldn't see them, then there was some sort of scuffle, I thought, but it was too far away for me to hear enough to be sure.

Then this guy named Leo introduced himself and said he'd been assigned to guard me. When the library I was doing research in suddenly closed early, and everything went dark. I could feel someone near me, and they started to tug on my notes, but I managed to get away with all my materials, because Leo came in with a flashlight and got me out of there. But he scolded me for working so late, and said the only reason he'd come looking for me was because I'd missed my check in with him.

Then he said he was going to show me something. He ran a cotton swab over my shoes, and dripped some clear liquid over it, and it turned bright pink, like in CSI. He said there was blood on my shoes, and that someone was trying to frame me for a murder that was all over the news. So Leo and I went into detective mode to try to figure out who was trying to frame me.

We discovered that it was this woman who worked as a professional Willie Nelson impersonator. She was wanted for some other crimes, including impersonating Willie *too* well, and trying to steal his identity. We tracked her down at Reliant Stadium, where Willie was performing the next night for the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. The police were trying to catch her for trespassing, but as soon as we showed up, the lights went out, and plunged us into pitch darkness.

I suspected that she'd target me, since she'd been trying to steal my thesis notes for who knows what reason, and sure enough, I could hear her footsteps crunching in the dirt to my right. I was holding a decoy copy of my notes, just a sheaf of paper with some printing on the top page. She grabbed them and began to run. I yelled and set off after her, following the sound of her breathing and footsteps, and the occasional faint glint of her white sneakers in the darkness.

I got so close that I bumped into her. She gasped and tried to speed up, but I took a flying leap and tackled her and started yelling. Then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment