Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Need a Restaurant Idea? ~ 7/15/2014

One day I walked from the French Quarter down to Flushing, Queens, which had somehow replaced the Bywater. I wanted to eat at a cafe I'd heard of, called the Aeolian.

After a while I saw it up ahead. The building was huge, and looked like St. Basil's cathedral in Moscow, only designed by Salvadore Dali using mushrooms in shades of earthy red. The sign was in a cool font, sort of designed to look Persian.

The cafe only took up a tiny bit of the middle of the structure. I couldn't figure out what the rest was used for. As you walked in, the gourmet deli was on the right and the bakery was on the left. The deli was what you'd expect, ham, salami, turkey, roast beef, but all really good, and also prosciutto and pancetta and stuff. The bakery had all sorts of amazing things, but their specialty were these tall stuffed doughnuts that ended up looking like muffins, with the hole crammed with filling and glaze drizzled all over. They also had any sort of bread you could think of, and some you couldn't.

So I ordered a small roast beef sandwich on ciabatta, and a small turkey on pumpkin seed mint whole wheat. I also got a plain glazed vanilla tall doughnut, and one full of honey pecans, with burnt maple sugar glaze.

Then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment