Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Turtles and Graves ~ 9/10/2014

I dreamed I was driving through Texas, and stopped to stay at a friend's parents' house overnight. I couldn't sleep very well, though, because his mom's two turtles kept coming in and knocking things over. I got up to put them out, but they had climbed up on a shelf where I couldn't reach them. Then one fell off the shelf into the bed and messed on the sheets, and the other (the bigger one) walked off the shelf and landed on my left foot, which HURT. So I got fed up and went for a walk.

It was very dark outside, and I found what looked like a half-exhumed grave. There was a white shape swooping down from sky to ground just on the edge of vision. I decided it was a hunting owl, and I was worried that it would snatch up the turtles, so I hoped they hadn't followed me out. I was getting uneasy at the eerie atmospherics, so I turned to go back to the house. Sure enough, I saw the smaller turtle slip into the grave to hide from the owl, so I scooped him up and took him home.

After putting the turtle back, I went outside again. The sun had come up, and around the side of the house, in the shade, I found a dying dog. I called for help, and the people who came told me there'd been an accident, and they'd taken his little boy away to the hospital, but they'd forgotten about the dog. He wasn't hurt much at all, but he'd been lying there where his boy left him, and he hadn't eaten anything for days. I gave him some water and told him his boy was soon much better, and missed him, and he needed to get well so he could visit, so he ate some food and they took him home to his family.

My mom and sister picked me up, then, and we started our road trip. We didn't get very far before Mom realized she needed to stop for gas. While Mom pumped gas, I walked over to where some friends of  mine were digging up old graves. It was part archaeological dig, part relocating them to expand the gas station parking lot. One of my friends was coming off shift, so we offered to give him a ride home. I guess he thought there was too much stuff in the back where my sister was sitting with some of our luggage, so he apologized, then twisted his six foot plus frame into a strange, square paperclip sort of shape to fit between me and the car door. Mom made a three point turn down a row of graves, and we got back on the road, and then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment