Friday, September 5, 2014

White Whale ~ 9/5/2014

I dreamed I was visiting my friend Katy up in Michigan. We went to this big warehouse club sort of place, painted dark purple with fluorescent accents inside. It wasn't a music and dancing sort of night club. It was more an arcade games and laser tag afternoon club. A bunch if us were there, and we ran into Adam, the lab tech from CSI: New York. Apparently some older kids had been bullying a little boy, and Adam was telling them off. Some of the bigger boys were already bigger than Adam, and they were starting to close in around him while he scolded, but when we showed up, they took off. The little boy's family came up then, and the rest of us, including Adam, went back to Katy's house.

That evening I got to talking to one of the guys in the group about Pantone color numbers. He claimed to be able to describe any color, given the Pantone number. I said that I could do that with HTML hex color codes, which is not really that hard, but he was impressed. I went to Google Pantone to learn more, but when I hit enter on the search, instead of a results page, some sort of automatic ad opened up, for a band called Kentonix, full of swirling, psychedelic colors and techno music. That happened every time, and I couldn't make it stop, so I gave up.

I went up to the room I was going to sleep in. Katy's house was laid out exactly like my godparents' house, only instead of being on the ground floor, it was on the second story, up above a garage and storage area, and a big balcony off the side, along the bedrooms. I stopped at the bookshelves in the hall to talk to Katy. She was putting away some books she'd ordered. She handed me a copy of Moby Dick that she'd accidentally ordered along with the book she'd really wanted, which was a retelling of Moby Dick, by David Sedaris, involving a white trout.

I took Moby Dick, since I'd been wanting to read it again, but instead of going to bed, I realized I was kind of worried about Adam, who had been really moody and quiet since the incident at the club. I went looking for him, and found him propped up against the arm of a love seat in the living room, wrapped up in a bunch of white blankets.  All the lights were off, so I sat down on the floor beside the love seat and whispered as quietly as I could to ask if he was awake. He said he was, and I asked if he'd like to talk, or if he'd like me to read aloud to him, since I was about to start reading Moby Dick.  He said the latter would be great, so I reached up to turn on the light.

When the light came on and I opened my eyes after letting them adjust a bit, he was gone.  So I took his place on the love seat and began to read.  My phone rang, then, and the caller ID said it was Adam, so I answered.  The connection was bad, so I went out on the porch. It was covered with slush, and the yard was white with snow. It turned out it wasn't the Adam I'd expected, but some other guy named Adam, who claimed to be the roommate of one of the sing dance instructors/musicians that I've taken lessons from here in New Orleans.  He claimed they were up in Canada, but they'd gotten into an accident, and were stuck, and had lost all their papers and money.  He asked me if I could wire them ten thousand dollars.

Now, I remembered this was a scam someone had tried to pull on my grandmother once, using my name, so I told him that I barely knew the dancer/musician, didn't know him at all, so it was crazy of him to ask me for so much money, even if I could help him out.  But that I couldn't, because I didn't have that much money to send him, so I was sorry, good bye.  After I hung up, I also woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment