Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Restroom and Campground Inspector ~ 10/21/2014

I dreamed I was hiking across Texas, inspecting public campgrounds, and especially their bathrooms.  I had a spreadsheet I was marking things off on and everything.  Most facilities were unisex, but my dad was with me to help out when there was a men's room to be inspected.

The Texas Renaissance Festival had three different campgrounds, each with their own bathroom.We finished those, and set off into the woods.  We got to a large rocky ridge, and I started climbing up with the help of one of my exes. We got to the top, and the view was spectacular. To the left you could see all the way to the canyon where the Mississippi cut through, and far off ahead, past the woods and grasslands, you could see the ocean.

There were lots of tourists admiring the scenery, but I was pretty much terrified.  The ridge was only about six feet wide, slightly domed, and the ground felt spongy under my feet.  I couldn't keep my balance and kept finding myself leaning toward the sheer drop on the other side. My ex had to keep hauling me back, and when I tried to just sit down, I found myself stumbling to the very brink, and staring down into a three hundred foot drop before he hauled me back. After that I climbed back down.

Next, we hiked to La Grange, where Momo's house had become the center of a campground and picnic area the family would rent out.  The bathrooms of her house had each been expanded into large locker rooms. It was too late when I got there to inspect, and all the bedrooms were full, so I slept on a pallet in the biggest bathroom.

The next day I checked out all the bathrooms, and they were each very nice and clean. I went out to look at the campground, and found a large concrete and tin-roofed picnic shelter FULL of a Cajun family reunion.  Each branch of the family had a different thing that they'd yell when you called their name or said "Cajun". Like, "Who dat!" or "SOOIE!" or "Yeah, you right!" It was a boisterous and pretty entertaining sight.

They all seemed happy with the facilities, so I went back inside, where a bunch of little girls were just waking up from a princess sleep over. A gymnastics instructor from Jamaica was giving them morning yoga lessons. They were all super little, and each wearing Disney princess pajamas. Dad stayed there to help out with cleaning up after the Cajuns, and I set off to continue my task.

I hiked west and eventually found myself in a combination hipster coffee bar and pet shop. The pet shop part was only open during the week, so at the moment it was a coffee bar, and there were a couple of guys with guitars and one with a banjo jamming as people sat around everywhere on cushions and low chairs. There were tiny rose and green canaries and aquariums of lizards and turtles, a big cage of guinea pigs, and a television showing puppies from the local shelter, available for adoption.

I had run into the Jamaican gymnastics instructor again, and we were singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," which fit perfectly with what the guys were playing. And then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment