Thursday, April 9, 2015

Upstairs, Downstairs ~ 4/9/2015

I dreamed I was the daughter of an earl, and had two other sisters, two brothers, and a lot of servants. I found out my parents were sending me on an outer space mission to toughen me up, and I didn't want to go, so I dressed my maid in my clothes and sent her, while I went to help in the kitchens. I figured that would toughen me up quite enough.

In true Shakespearean style, no one noticed the swap, but there were some truly awkward moments when I found out my maid was carrying on with the undergardener, and I had to try to put him off without ruining it for her. Meanwhile, I had to keep in touch with my maid to help her communicate with her chaperon, our butler Malvolio, who looked like Mr. Carson from Downton Abbey. So I knew when "I" went wandering and ended up getting let out the airlock, and was lost in space.

My maid would have died, except a very handsome deep space diver intercepted her on his way down to earth. He got her back to her ship, and they all came home. We had had a plan for how to switch back, of course, but since my maid was still recovering, someone was with her all the time, and we couldn't. So I kept up acting as a maid, but then things got dangerous.

Someone started the rumor that "I" had lost my virginity in space and tried to kill myself. Suspicion fell on Malvolio, whom I knew was innocent. He was accused because they found a rose among his belongings that didn't smell right. I knew that my maid had found it in the spaceship gardens and taken it, but then was afraid and hid it. But I couldn't tell anyone that. So I tried to clear his name by starting the rumor that he was gay.  But no one believed me, and it was just as well, because it turned out that was a high crime.

Then our undergardener was accused of trying to court a noblewoman, which I knew he both had and really hadn't, and then they lit him on fire and they burned him before I could figure out what to say. I began to be very afraid of what would happen to my maid if they found out she'd impersonated me. So, I decided to swap places with another maid, only to find that she was my sister, who had swapped with her own maid.

This was all too confusing, and I was traumatized from watching a man burn alive, so I went for a walk, trapeze artist style, over the trusses of an old broken up bridge, to clear my head. And then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment