Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Family Vacation ~ 6/23/2015

I dreamed I was walking around modern day Edinburg with my father, who was part my real dad and part Jamie Fraser. We were trying to decide what pub to eat at, and I was irritating him with my terrible English and even worse Scottish accents.

Then I was back with Mom and Brooke in a dive of a motel near Schlitterbahn. We were going to go to the water park, but first I had to finish editing this specification. It was handwritten on aging parchment, the handwriting was awful, and I couldn't tell what it was about, but there were doodles of squirrels in the margins. There were two business men talking nearby, and I handed in my work to them. One had dropped a postcard, which I picked up to return to him, but first I had to edit that, too.

Finally I was ready to go to the water park. But then we needed to get breakfast, so we stopped at the nearby diner. Then Brooke wanted to buy a new swimsuit, so we stopped at Target. Then I realized my stockings had big holes in them. Then I realized I was wearing black stockings and black suede ankle boots with three inch heels to a water park. Then I remembered that the Houston Concert Band had a concert I was supposed to play in on Rice Campus, so I hurried over.

We had a rehearsal in the student center, then afterwards a few of us broke into an a cappella version of Proud Mary (the Ike and Tina rendition). My friend Erik broke in to remind us to get down to the Grand Hall for the concert, but I couldn't find my trumpet. By the time I found it, I was 10 minutes late. I tried to sneak on stage during the applause after the first piece, and it worked well enough, until I found they'd removed my chair. Someone got me another real quick, though, and the show went on.

After the concert, I went back to the Hurricane Ridge gift shop, where I was supposed to meet Mom and Brooke to continue our vacation in Olympic National Park. I decided I wanted to buy a t-shirt while I waited for them, but that section wasn't open, so I followed a sales lady into a white-walled room full of display cases that held mineralogical samples and leather jewelry. I thought maybe I wanted an oxblood red leather anklet, but the woman the clerk was helping was getting that, and I didn't want to be a copycat. Then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment