Monday, June 29, 2015

My Short Stint as a Chef in a Chinese Restaurant ~ 6/29/2015

I dreamed I was hired at a Chinese restaurant to prepare and cook steak. That was my only job. I had been the owner's girlfriend, before he somehow got himself transformed into a ten year old boy.

Once the other woman who worked in the kitchen tried to help me by preparing one of the steaks. She left it almost raw, and I had to cut that one up, turn it into stir fry, and start over with a fresh rib eye.

Once I tried to help her by carrying out an appetizer order that was essentially a bowl of oil and vinegar to dip finger foods in. The colors and arrangement were lovely, and included two delicate flower petals arranged on the very edge of the liquid. The special part of this dish was that, after being carried to the table, the vinegar, which was infused with red pepper and carrot shreds, so it had a pinky-orange tinge, would not have mixed at all into the oil, and the petals would not be disturbed. So it was important to carry it very smoothly, which I found I couldn't do. I had to set the ruined bowl back on the counter, and the other woman had to start over.

I'd brought my own knives and cast iron skillet to use, and it was a constant struggle to keep anyone else from using or cleaning them. I finally found my skillet soaking in a sink full of soapy water, with the patina and seasoning scrubbed off. So I quit. Then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment