Monday, June 22, 2015

Summer Camp Adventures ~ 6/22/2015

I dreamed I was standing on the rim of a canyon I was about to kayak down. The stone walls were dark gray and beige, and the water was a murky jade green. There were very shallow pokets of sand tucked into crevices in the canyon walls, and a guide was warning me against relying on them if I fell out of my kayak, that the sand slopped sharply into the water, and would be easily dislodged if I tried to pull myself out there. He warned me also, that, as still as the water looked, the undercurrents were fierce, and basically, I should be prepared to see the entire length of the canyon through, and not try to get out of the water until I'd passed through.

So I kayaked through the canyon and reached a jungle forest. I beached my kayak and continued on foot. I followed a gray squirrel up the slanting bole of a downed tree, trying to take its picture. Suddenly, the squirrel disappeared into a hole in the trunk, and I turned around to see that we'd woken a colony of jungle cats, who had been lazying up in the canopy. They were the size of panthers, but had pointed ears more like a house cat, and they were rainbow colored. Purple, red, yellow, orange, green, blue, they all raised their heads to gaze at me with golden eyes, and I figured, well, while I was here, I might as well take a picture, because this was pretty awesome. So I stood still for a bit, snapping photos, then, when they started to relax again, I backed slowly down the tree and got out of the jungle.

I reached the camp where I'd be staying, just in time to participate in the first creative project.  We were supposed to watch and summarize one of those inspirational teen movies from the learning channel. In this movie, a young girl falls in love with her best friend's brother, only to lose her best friend when she becomes angry that they're dating. The main character was played by Dawn from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and the brother was played by Riley, but the best friend was someone I'd never seen act before.

I wrote my summary and was about to hand it in when I realized I'd completely missed the end of the film, where an animated cat, exploding like a big round firework into hundreds more identical animated cats somehow made clear the angsty turmoil of the brother's feelings. He didn't love the girl as much as he thought she deserved, since she loved him so much, and he hated himself for that, and was starting to hate her. I explained this to him as he sat beside the camp instructors in lawn chairs on the muddy bank across a small river from me.

So I finished my write up, copied and pasted some "Back to previous page" .php code into it, and sent the whole thing to the guy's sister, so she could better understand and not hate her best friend. Then I went to claim my bunk in the huge, beige, cinder-block gym and barracks building that we'd all be living in. There was a lot of confusing stuff there, but I can't remember it, and then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment